Pre Employment Exams
The Ashgrove Spinal Centre believes Pre-employment (pre-placement) medicals are integral to your company’s injury prevention plan. When properly implemented, pre-employment medical testing can reduce the incidents and severity of injuries in your workplace; in result, guarding you against major workplace injuries or illnesses and reducing the cost of workers compensation premiums. The potential impact of work-related injuries and the resulting labour replacement costs from mismatched employees and job demands all provide a persuasive case for the use of pre-employment assessments.
Research indicates employees who have completed pre-employment medical tests are more likely to have less incidences of injury, less absences due to injury and lower medical costs resulting from injury. ¹,² A major research study found:
- There were significant reductions in the frequency and severity of musculoskeletal disorder injuries in the screened employee population.
- Non-screened applicants were 2.38 times more likely to experience an injury specific to the knees, shoulders and back than screened employees.
- Those who were not pre-screened attract 4.33 times more costs with claims.³
The main benefits to the EMPLOYER of running a pre-employment medical program are:
- Improved corporate reputation via proactive management of risks.
- Potential reduction in the cost of workers’ compensation premiums and reduced sick leave.
- Improved worker productivity through reduced down time due to injury or illness.
The main benefits of pre-employment testing for the EMPLOYEE include:
- Identification of health issues they may have been unaware of.
- The ability to understand the physical requirements of a role before accepting employment.
- Confidence their employer is proactive and concerned about work place health and safety.
Why choose The Ashgrove Spinal Centre
We understand employers require pre-employment examination results quickly and efficiently, and therefore TASC has a system in place to ensure this occurs. Our Clients Experience:
- No long waiting times for your applicants!
- Fast Turnaround with accurate results!
- Same or very next day reporting!
- Specifically tailored assessments to your workplace and roles.
- Professional service that reflects your company image…
TASC will tailor a pre-employment medical exam to suit the requirements of your organisation and address specific physical or health concerns relevant to a given work environment. Medical screening can be incorporated into a pre-employment exam to support your company policy around such things as alcohol and other drugs (Urine analysis / DAS).
In most cases, a pre-employment physical includes a written health questionnaire and a series of physical exams designed to test a range of the bodies’ functions and abilities, relevant to work place demands. Pre-employment medical/health screenings may include, but are not limited to:
- Full musculoskeletal examination including comprehensive range of movement
- Central nervous system examination
- Urinalysis for diabetes or kidney / bladder disorders
- Urine drug screening (instant only)
- Audiometry (hearing test)
- Spirometry (lung function test)
- Vision assessment (including colour blindness)
- Body mass index
- Spinal assessment
- Balance assessment
- Blood pressure testing
- Postural tolerance assessment
- Manual handling evaluation
The following options are available with any level:
- X-ray of the spine
- Task specific functional education
- Gassoway, J. & Flory, V., 2000, Prework screen: Is it helpful in reducing injuries and costs? Work. 15(2), 101-106.
- Nassau, D.W., 1999, The Effects of Prework Functional Screening on Lowering an Employer’s Injury Rate, Medical Costs, and Lost Work Days. Spine. 24 (3), 269-274
- Rosenblum, K.E & Shanker, A. 2006, A study of the effects of isokinetic pre-employment physical capability screening in the reduction of musculoskeletal disorders in a labor intensive work environment. Work. 26(2):215 – 28